If you are not using Connect TV advertising as part of your marketing plan, you are missing out on this growing and significant marketing channel to reach out audience where they are consuming content.
The industry is currently abuzz with the opportunities Connected TV (CTV) is offering. Unfortunately, few businesses realize the power CTV has to transform video advertising.
In a nutshell, CTV is your internet-connected television. Unlike older TV technology, CTV works with numerous devices, including:
- Apples TVs
- Smart TVs
- Tivo and Roku devices
- Gaming consoles like PlayStation and X-Box
You have probably identified a few devices you already own on the list. This list also shows that CTV ads have an incredible market permeation, making it so appealing for advertisers.
But before you get ahead of yourself, below is info as to what exactly Connected TV is and the best methods you should be using as you develop an ad or video for the platform.
What is connected TV?
CTV is an Over-The-Top (OTT) content channel that sends video via the internet without depending on multi-system operator technology. Most OTT content mimics service you would find carried by traditional media services, but over the internet on either free or cheap packages.
You are probably wondering how this relates to video advertising?
Well, CTV ads are purchased programmatically and shown on OTT devices, mobile, or computer streaming.
CTV advertising allows you to show ads on premium content providers such as Direct TV OnDemand, SlingTV, and Roku to reach the ever-increasing number of households not paying for traditional TV services.
What are the Connected TV ad options available?
CTV advertising is best used when complementing your digital ad buys or an extension of traditional TV buys.
CTV offers a more laid-back branding experience that occurs as the user enjoys video content on their devices. Connect TV ad options include:
- In-streaming video ads – These are non-skippable 15 to 30-second ads that play before or during the show
- Interactive pre-roll ads – They feature embedded rich media that reveal more when users click or roll over an ad while pausing the show.
- Home screen placement – An ad placement option that allows your standard ad to show up in a user’s app once they open it. Content is shown within the app when a user clicks on it.
Ideas for creating a great Connected TV ad
Create unforgettable video ads for Connected TV with these tactics:
- Capture the viewer’s attention within the first 5 seconds using sonic or visual cues; or break the noise with lack of sound and picture before you start the message
- Understand the platform you are advertising to your viewers and mention it in the dialog. For example, “Hey, I know you are binge-watching your favorite TV show right now…”
- Consider the ad buy you’re making and the demogaphic you are aiming for. Use both to find the style, language, and tone that is specific for your targeted ad
- Last, never speak down to the audience. They are a highly tech-evolved audience, so don’t mention things like, “Visit our website at W-W-W DOT…” They can google your business. They get it.
If you would like to learn more about Connected TV advertising or looking for a video production partner, get in touch with Levitate Media at (800) 820-6962 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.